In India a large number of approved and non approved organizations offer graduate, postgraduate and diploma, courses in nursing as well as midwifery courses. Here is the list of courses you can look for:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.Sc):
- Educational Qualification: 10+2 with Biology, Physics and Chemistry
- Course Duration: 3 to 4 years
- This degree course provides basic knowledge about nursing, midwifery and first-aid. Students get theoretical and practical training on all aspects of nursing in this duration.
Master of Science in Nursing (M.Sc):
- Educational Qualification: B.Sc Nursing
- Course Duration: 2 years
General Nursing & Midwifery (GNM):
- Educational Qualification: 10+2 with Physics, Biology, and Chemistry
- Course Duration: 3 1/2 years
- GNM program generates professionals, who function as general nurses in different health sectors, like hospitals and other such places. They offer preliminary help to the patient before the arrival of a doctor.
Auxiliary Nurse Midwife/ Health Worker (ANM):
- Educational Qualification: 10th
- Course Duration: 18 months
- ANM course trains individuals as to how to deal with the health related issues of the people of all ages especially children, mothers and old persons, living in rural areas.
Hospital Nursing: Hospital nurses make the largest group of nurses. These professionals are usually specialize in any area like surgery, obstetric, maternity, pediatrics, intensive care, obstetric, rehabilitative etc.
Community Health Nursing/ Public Health Nursing: Public health nurses or Health worker are mostly employed in health departments in urban and rural areas and government and private clinics. There are trained to provide all the basic medical services to the local population. They guide and instruct patients, their family members and other groups regarding health related issues, prevention of disease, nutrition and child care. Organize programs for blood pressure testing, health screening and immunizations.
Military Nursing: Delivering health services to armed forces.
Educators: This field includes training on all aspects of nursing and besides this students are trained to organize educational programs also.
Industrial Nursing/ Occupational Health Nursing: They work under the guidance of the industrial physicians and help in taking preventive safety measures. Providing emergency care inside the industrial premises at the time of accidents is also their duty.
Psychiatric Nursing: This nursing involves working with patients suffering from emotional and psychological distress. These professionals need to posses great devotion and patience. They generally work in coordination with the psychiatrists, doctors and other specialists.
Pediatric Nursing: is concerned with the care of sick babies and children.
Orthopedic Nursing: requires a knowledge of physiotherapy and rehabilitation